SCM GROUP
Home
Reserved Area
Italiano
Job Opportunities

This content requires Adobe Flash Player 8 or higher. Click here to download!
 
Fonderie SCM
Rimini


Rimini and surroundings

Rimini, which consists of an extensive sea-beach side and an old heart, the town centre, is an open, hospitable and people-friendly city. In the centre, the ancient narrow streets and squares such as Corso d’Augusto, Via Gambalunga, Piazza Cavour, Piazza Tre Martiri and Piazza Ferrari are pedestrian zones and some parts, like the 'old fish market square', are a popular meeting place for young people in particular, who have become even more numerous now that Rimini is an important university centre with over 5,000 students. Near the old stone counters where fish was once sold, trendy bars and pubs have opened turning this charming 'little square' into the heart of 'nightlife' in Romagna.

There are plenty of opportunities for discovering Rimini’s treasures. From June until September, a guided tour called 'A walk in the past' is held every Tuesday (departure at 9.00 am from the URP offices at 158, Corso d’Augusto). The tour aims to recount different periods of the city’s history by stopping at its most important monuments including Tiberius Bridge, the Arch of Augustus and harmonious Pigna fountain that so enchanted Leonardo da Vinci. On special request, the tour ends at the Municipal Museum.

www.riminiturismo.it




SIGHTSEEING IN RIMINI

The Arengo and Podestà Palaces
Under the Arengo Palace’s portico, which dates from 1204, justice was administered and the municipal assembly met in the hall with multi-lancet windows situated on the first floor. Next door, is the fourteenth century Podestà residence where the entrance is underlined by an arch with Malatesta symbols. Garampi Palace, which is now the municipal residence, was built at the end of the sixteenth century, modifying the façades of the Arengo and Podestà Palaces. Following an earthquake in 1916, which brought to light remains of the medieval buildings, restoration work was carried out that redesigned the palaces in Neo-gothic style.

The church of San Giovanni Evangelista known as Sant’Agostino church
The Agostiniani built the church, which is rectangular-shaped with an apse and two side chapels, in the thirteenth century. The decorations that remain in part consist of frescoes and a wooden crucifix attributed to the fourteenth century Rimini school of art. In the eighteenth century, Ferdinando Bibiena modified the façades and the interior, which was enriched with stuccoes and frescoes by Vittorio Maria Bigari. The fourteenth-century painting was actually hidden and only came to light in 1916 following an earthquake. The Giudizio universale, which is on the triumphal arch, was removed in 1926 and is now housed in the Municipal Museum.

The Arch of Augustus
As its inscription declares, the arch was built in 27 B.C. as an honorary gate to celebrate Octavian Augustus. It once formed part of the stone-built city walls, the remains of which are still visible, but is now isolated because the adjacent structures were demolished in the 1930’s. The structure, which was originally topped by a parapet bearing a statue of the Emperor, is richly decorated with religious and political references. In fact, the divinities represented in the round shields (Jupiter, Apollo, Neptune and Rome) recall the grandeur of Rome and of Augustus himself.

The Malatesta Temple
Giotto decorated the Temple, which was built on the site of the 13th century church of San Francesco, and indeed one of his wooden crucifixes is still housed inside. It was conceived by Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta as a memorial tomb for his family and although building work began in 1447 it was still incomplete on his death. The temple was designed by Leon Battista Alberti and Matteo dei Pasti and Agostino di Duccio created the bas-relief decorations in the chapels, which highlight the dominant personality of the commissioner who was celebrated by Piero della Francesca in his fresco of the prince and San Sigismondo. The temple, which was recently consecrated a basilica, has undergone restoration work financed by the Cassa di Risparmio di Rimini Foundation. Its completion, in Jubilee year, returned the marble and bright colours of the interior chapels to their former splendour.

Castel Sismondo or Malatesta
Fortress Building work on Sigismondo Malatesta’s residence-fortress began in 1437 and lasted around 15 years. Today, unfortunately only the central nucleus remains. The castle appears on numerous Malatesta medals as well as on Piero della Francesca’s fresco in the Malatesta Temple where it is depicted with towers, walls, a wide moat and an imposing keep. On the inscription at the entrance, Sigismondo claims responsibility for the building ex fundamentis, but it actually incorporated several older buildings. In the 17th century, the building became a Papal fortress and was then used as a prison until 1967. Nowadays, it is the prestigious venue for numerous cultural events.

Pigna Fountain
The heart of medieval Piazza Cavour is the fountain, which also features in the painting of the city housed in the Malatesta Temple. Even Leonardo da Vinci was enchanted by the harmony of the waterspouts when he passed through Rimini in 1502. Giovanni Carrari from Bergamo restored it after damage caused in 1540 by fireworks placed in the tub to celebrate a high prelate lending it its present shape, which respects the original ancient layout. A statue of Saint Paul once crowned the fountain but was replaced in the nineteenth century by the 'Pigna' (pine cone) that gives the fountain its name.

Tiberius Bridge
As the inscription on the internal parapets recalls, work on the bridge over the Marecchia River, then known as Ariminus, began under the Emperor Augustus in 14 A.D. and was completed under Tiberius in 21 A.D. The bridge still connects the city centre to Borgo San Giuliano and leads to the consular roads Via Emilia and Via Popilia that lead north. Built in Istria stone, the bridge consists of five arches that rest on massive pillars with breakwater spurs set at an oblique angle with respect to the bridge’s axis in order to follow the current. The bridge’s structure on the other hand, rests on a practical system of wooden poles.

The Amphitheatre
The Amphitheatre, which dates from the second century as a coin of the Emperor Hadrian found buried in the walls testifies, was situated close to where the coast once was. It was originally a sombre brick structure, consisting of two superimposed orders with a colonnade of 60 arches. It was an extremely impressive sight, particularly when approaching from the sea. The Amphitheatre was elliptical-shaped and measured 117.7 x 88 metres while the arena was 73 x 44 metres wide, almost the same as those found in the great amphitheatres. Gladiatorial events held here drew at least 15,000 spectators at a time.




RIMINI SURROUNDINGS

Leaving the coast behind, visitors will find two treasures just waiting to be discovered. The Marecchia and Conca Valleys still preserve surprisingly natural countryside, alternated by villages and castles that guard a rich artistic and cultural heritage. These two valleys, which lie just a few kilometres from Rimini, have an exceptional visiting card, the Malatesta Seignory. The Malatesta were one of the most influential families between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and marked the history of Italy. In these valleys, they left behind an impressive artistic and cultural heritage. To start with, on a rocky spur sits the medieval village of Verucchio that is full of churches and convents and is where the Malatesta family originated. However, the village dates from even further back as it was the cradle of the Villanovan civilisation, which is recounted in one of the most beautiful museums in Italy (housed in Sant’Agostino Convent, tel. 0541.670222). The journey continues to two rocky spurs, each with its own castle, Montebello and Torriana, then to Santarcangelo, which is famous for its old town and its restaurants and taverns, and Poggio Berni. A must is the beautiful village of San Leo, with its famous fortress, parish church and cathedral. The entire Conca Valley is dotted with fortresses and fortified villages that once guarded the dangerous territory bordering the Duchy of Urbino. The valley’s most emblematic village is Montefiore, with a huge and extremely beautiful medieval fortress on its peak. The village of San Giovanni in Marignano hides a little jewel in the nineteenth-century Massari Theatre and just a short distance away are Mondaino, with its prestigious fossil museum, and Saludecio. The valleys and indeed the entire Riviera are dominated by the three castles of San Marino, they are the symbol of the oldest republic in the world that draws millions of visitors every year.